29 July 2008

Dating After Damascus


Steve Jobs riding his 1966 BMW.
Judy Heiblum, a literary agent at Sterling Lord Literistic, shudders at the memory of some attempted date-talk about Robert Pirsig’s 1974 cult classic “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,” beloved of searching young men. “When a guy tells me it changed his life, I wish he’d saved us both the embarrassment,” Heiblum said, adding that “life-changing experiences” are a “tedious conversational topic at best.”--from a New York Times article on literary taste as a dating dealbreaker.

It's news to me that there could be anything tedious about life-changing-experiences-talk--on the other hand, I suppose there's a lot of earnest bloviation ('My mom's my best friend!') that seems like, but is not, appropriate date-convo. The other thing is that it's not always easy to itemize just how your life changed: I've never read Pirsig's book (I bought it after another student mentioned it in my advisor's social theory grad seminar, but never recovered the motivation to read it after bumping into the Big Guy at the cash register and being airily informed that his 13-year old daughter had found it a bit facile), but I'm sure I'd run into the same minefield with Ms. Heiblum if I tried to wax lyrical on my personal road-to-Damascus moment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? no post-ASA post yet?

maybe this will inspire you.

hakka3 said...

Holy posts, Batman! http://hakka3-resolutions.blogspot.com/2008/08/batty-man.html.

As for ASA's, I'm still processing this year's academic-geekout experience.

Unknown said...

I might shudder to read Pirsig's novel now, but it was the first philosophy book I ever read that meant anything to me (I was 17 at the time), and it inspired me to take my first philosophy course. I am now a philosophy professor, so I suppose it changed my life. Is that really so boring?

hakka3 said...

Patrick, at the risk of blowing some proverbial sunshine up your ass, any book that could have brought you and philosophy together has to have some good-making features. I'm sure I speak for all our mutual friends in saying that.

In any case, you can point to a concrete life-changing consequence of having read the book. My guess is that most of Ms. Heiblum's dates can't.